Children are normally admitted to school at the beginning of the school year in which they become five. It is quite usual for a Reception Class to contain some children who became 5 just as they started school and some children who will not be 5 until they are almost ready to begin Year 1. At Runwell, all children are admitted at the beginning of the Autumn Term in the year in which they turn 5.
Applications for admission to Runwell Community Primary School should be made through Essex County Council’s Planning and Admissions Department, preferably online. For new Reception children there is an application window with published opening and closing dates. All other applications for admission can be made at any time.
Telephone: 0345 603 2200
If you have been refused a place at Runwell Community Primary School and you would like to stay on our waiting list, please complete the Continued Interest Application Form available via the link below and return it to us. We will hold the form until the end of the academic year. If you wish to remain on our waiting list in the new academic year, you will need to submit a new form.
Preparation for School
You are welcome to arrange a visit to the school at any time should you wish to do so. Outside of this there are a variety activities and induction sessions prior to your child starting school:
- Visits to view the school in action
- Reception Staff visits to local Pre Schools and Playgroups
- Formal induction sessions in the Summer term prior to admission, incorporating parent information and the opportunity for your child to spend time in school with Reception staff
- Home visits from Reception staff at the start of the Autumn Term
For admission to the school from September 2015 the following applies:
There is no guarantee of a place for children living in the priority admission area. In the event of oversubscription, places will be allocated using the following criteria in the order given:
1. Looked After Children;
2. Children living in the priority admission area of the school with a sibling attending the school at the time of application and admission;
3. Children living in the priority admission area of the school;
4. Children living outside the priority admission area of the school with a sibling attending the school at the time of application and admission;
5. Remaining applications.
Exceptional medical circumstances (supported by medical evidence) or special personal circumstances relating to the child which necessitate attendance at Runwell Community Primary School (supporting written evidence will be required from a professional e.g. social worker) may override the above (other than Looked After Children and children with a Statement of Special Educational Needs) at the discretion of the School Admissions Committee.
In the event of oversubscription within any of the above criteria, priority will be determined by straight line distance from home to school, those living closest being given the highest priority. Where the comparison and calculation of distance is the same for more than one application, any remaining places will be randomly allocated. Published Admission Number is currently 60.